Thursday 19 August 2010

Good to be home!

I had a great holiday in the South of France gorging on fresh apricots, peaches and nectarines. I gorged on other things too, cheese, sausisson, wine, tarts....so I walked to pick up my bag yesterday in an attempt to burn off a few of the excess calories. 

We may not have peaches growing on the side of the road but we still have some great produce in this country. I had two bags of cherry tomatoes - including some yellow ones, a lettuce, chard, spring onions, potatoes, runner beans, courgettes and a green pepper. Wow it's good to be home!

I made a couscous  - 300 ml dried couscous  in a measuring jug then topped up to 600ml with boiling water. Leave a lid on for 5 minutes then  tip into a bowl, fluff with a fork and leave to go cold. Add couple tablespoons olive oil, juice of one lemon, chopped tomatoes, spring onions and cucumber. Fresh parsley would be nice but didn't have any so added a teaspoon of Za'atar (a Palestinian herb mix). 

Those of you paying attention will have noticed there was no cucumber in my veg bag but the one I had was local. It came from Ashtrees Farm in South Oxfordshire, one of True Food's suppliers.


1 comment:

  1. I also had beetroot in my bag and I've been told that I didn't make couscous I made couscous salad. I think you could probably have worked that out from the description!

    ReplyDelete