Wednesday 5 May 2010

Using the bean sprouts

We are in the middle of the hunger gap at the moment - the period when the winter veg has finished but the summer veg hasn't come in yet. This means that veg box schemes often have to supplement with produce that hasn't come from their farm, or even close for a month or so. We have been getting a box of mixed bean sprouts in our bag most weeks and I must confess I struggle to use it and ended up throwing last weeks away. (That is a terrible confession and I felt really bad!). I don't know why I find it difficult because I always enjoy them when I do eat them. This week I'm determined to use them and last night was very organised and prepared lunch to take to work with me today. I sliced and fried some spring onions with a handful of the bean sprouts, some chilli and soy sauce. I mixed it with some cooked rice and had it cold for lunch. I've still got two thirds of a box to use though!



No comments:

Post a Comment