Monday 31 May 2010

Beetroot Is Back

There isn't much of the year when you can't get UK grown beetroot but the last few months have been beetroot free. I must say by January I find it hard to get inspired by the weekly beetroot but it is always exciting when the first new ones arrive. These looked prettier when they first arrived as they had the stalks and leaves attached. I cut them off because apparently they keep better without them. You can use the leaves in salads but they don't keep long.


I decided to make a classic beetroot, walnut and goats cheese salad except I substituted a local sheep's cheese, Wigmore, that is soft like a Camembert but with a more tangy taste. I scrubbed and then boiled them (don't peel them until after they're cooked or the colour drains out). The very tiny ones only took 15 minutes but the larger ones about 30. Once they were cooked and cooled I sliced and put them on some peppery rocket that also came in the veg bag. I drizzled them with a dressing made with a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and 2 tablespoons olive oil. The cheese and toasted walnuts were then just sprinkled on top.

I found a good blog with a posting about beetroot (or beets - it's American) while looking for ideas. I particularly like the advice about not calling the doctor the first time you go to the loo after eating beetroot!

No comments:

Post a Comment