Monday 14 June 2010

Carrot muffins


Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall had a selection of savoury muffin recipes in the Guardian a couple of weeks ago. They all looked delicious but as I had some carrots in the veg bag I thought I'd give the carrot and spinach ones a try. You can see the recipe here. I didn't get any Spinach in my veg bag but I managed to buy some local spinach from True Food Co-op.

They looked great but weren't 100% successful. My fault, no reflection on the recipe. I forgot the salt which I think they did lack although I wouldn't have used the 1 1/2 teaspoons the recipe said. I also didn't add the seeds as I didn't have any. The main problem I had was that I couldn't get them to cook properly. The recipe said stick a cocktail stick in them and if it comes out clean they are ready. Mine never got to the clean cocktail stick stage even when the tops were almost too hard to get the stick through. In the end I took them out of the oven and they did firm up when they cooled so maybe I was applying the criteria a bit too strictly. I also had a mini muffin pan but normal size muffin cases so I wondered if that might make a difference to the way they cooked. 

Having said all this they were tasty and I'll definitely try them again with the salt, seeds and smaller muffin cases (or a bigger pan!)

 

1 comment: