Saturday 10 July 2010

Onions

I had a beautiful bunch of onions in my veg bag this week. I was listening to Gardeners Question time a couple of weeks ago and they were saying that onions this year have very thick necks. You can see from the photo that the ones  I've got do have thick necks almost like large spring onions.

That is one of the things I love about getting a veg bag - you get things as they come out of the ground they are not discarded because they don't meet the supermarkets idea of what consumers want.

Inspired by my bunch I searched for onion recipes and found a whole website dedicated to all things oniony run by the British Onion Producers' Association. Did you know that onions are supposed be an aphrodisiac? Egyptian Pharaohs' celibate priests were forbidden to eat onions because of the potential effects on their libido! I tried their recipe for falafel and while they were very tasty I had my usual problem with falafel that they don't hold together and I end up with a general mush. If anyone has had any success with making falafel then please let me in on your secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment