Monday 21 February 2011

Dinner for one

I've never understood it when people say they can't be bothered to cook for themselves. It does give you a warm glow to cook for other people who enjoy your food but if it is just you then you can have exactly what you want. My family are away for half-term so I have the house and veg bag all to myself.

I went to a conference on food blogging at Msmarmitelovers underground restaurant on Saturday. It was fun and inspirational, tips on writing in general as well as increasing the readership of your blog. I'm not sure if I can be bothered with all the search engine optimisation stuff but interacting with other food bloggers was something they suggested that sounded like more fun. With that in mind I checked out the updates of my favourite blogs and found that Dinner Diary's latest post was breaded veal. I'd just got a rose veal escallop out of the freezer so I left a comment on their blog and started planning my dinner for one.


To go with the Veal Milanese I had beetroot boiled and then sliced up and fried in butter with a sliced apple until the apple was soft. The apple was one I found in the bottom of my fridge and I think it would have been better with one that wasn't past its best but they worked well together. I also had potato mashed with some chopped cooked leeks which would definitely not have gone down well with certain members of my family but was devoured appreciatively by my discerning audience of one.

1 comment:

  1. You did cook it! Looks lovely. I've just added some eggs to my shopping order this week, I may do the veal again but properly this time!

    I'm guilty of not bothering to cook for myself, I always end up with toast if it's just me. I think it's because Stephen and I both like the same things so there's nothing really for me to indulge in when he's not here.

    ReplyDelete