Sunday 6 March 2011

Well used Squash

I had a red Kuri squash in last week's veg bag and it made me 2 solo dinners and 2 lunches. Tuesday was stuffed squash. I started off by roasting it, cut in half  and placed  cut side down on a baking tray. I have made the mistake before of trying to cook the squash from scratch with the stuffing in and it doesn't work - the filling is burnt before the squash is cooked - I had to scrape out the stuffing and carry on cooking the squash.

This time I was very organised I made the filling  - puy lentils, finely chopped carrots and leek and  some Za'atar (a Palestinian herb mix) - and roasted the squash the day before. Then when I got in from a meeting on Tuesday evening all I had to do was put them together and turn on the microwave, the perfect ready meal.
.


I had some spare filling and left over mashed potato for lunch on Wednesday and then made a risotto with the other half of the roasted squash. Squash is fantastic in risotto, I put it in quite early on as you can see from the photo so that it melted right down into the rice. It had a rich creamy texture and although I had some Parmesan ready it really didn't need it. With spare risotto for lunch on Thursday pretty good value from one squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment